Saturday, November 8, 2008

3. New Life

" Hey! How bout' this house??" I asked pointing at a large white mansion on the edge of the cliff, beside the sea.

" I don't know..." Kevin said.

" Why not? It's beautiful!" I protested.

" We're only two people, Leon."

" So? I like it. Please?" I begged.

" Fine, fine," He said finally. " We'll take it."

" Yeah! C'mon! We gotta go buy that house!"

" Sure, sure." Kevin and I went to the real estate office and bought the house. I was so happy I didn't even care how much it was! It was beautiful is all I bothered about it. We were stinking rich after all.

Kevin mummbled something unintellegible when I told him I was gonna buy a Ferrari. I ignored him before he could talk any sense into me.

We took all Summer setting out house up, registering into school, Kevin bought himself a silver Volvo and I got myself that Ferrari I wanted. Kevin said something that sounded like ' So conspicuous', I just laughed at him.

***

We started high school in fall. Going by Leon Hale and Kevin Black. We were adoptive brothers - our parents died in a car crash-, and we tried keeping to ourselves. There was this one girl, she asked Kevin out when we were walking to class last Wednesday, her name was Jessica Hawkins. It was hilarious!

Jessica walked up to us and said, mostly to Kevin," Erm... would you...p-please g-go o-out w-with m-m-me?" She was shaking so hard, she barely managed to ask him anyway. And Kevin said," Sorry. I'm not seeing anyone right now and I have no intentions to do anything like that. Sorry, you're not my type." He said the last word coldly.

It was kind of weird when she started crying. I knew she was sad, but so what? I mean, don't have to cry over that! What do I know about humans anyway?

After school that day, I asked Kevin," Why didn't you go out with her?" Just curious.

Kevin stared at me through narrowed eyes and I realized why. I'd forgotten that we haven't hunted in weeks! I'd already gotten over the smell of human blood, and so had Kevin, but when we're thirsty, we're really thirsty.

" Maybe, we should go hunting now?" I suggested.

Kevin nodded and I got into his car. I already knew where we were going.

***

" Why do we have to hunt in the continent?" I grumbled.

" Quit whinning! Don't be such a baby. Just hunt, Won't you? And be quiet! You'll scare our lunch away." Kevin said.

" Fine. I still say we should have gone to the Amazon or something. More variety." I mummbled.


After a couple of hours, our eyes were a light honey gold again and Kevin, wasn't so crabby. anymore since he's not thirsty." You know, Kevin? I think you're always in a bad mood when you're thirsty," I told him when his eyes weren't so dark anymore.

Kevin shrugged and said, " It's how I am."

I rolled my eyes and ran to the car, Kevin right behind me. " Kevin?" I asked. " Next time, can we go somewhere else? With like, bigger animals? Please? I'm totally begging now! Please?" I pleaded.

" Why? Don't you like it here?"

" Well, sure I do! But I'm sick of drinking elk blood... And mountain lions are my favourite, but I want more challenge, you know?"

" So, where would you suggest?" Kevin asked enthusiastically.

" Hmm... I'm not sure. Amazon? I hear they have large boa constrictors over there! Wanna wrestle one?! Ha-ha!" I said exitedly.

" Sure... Okay then. Next time then."

Next day at school, I got out of Kevin's silver Volvo and grumbled. " Why can't I drive myself to school? -I wasn't allowed to drive my car-."

" Too conspicuous. Why did you buy that car? You could but a less conspicuous car you know? But ' oh, no! I want a red Ferrari'. What's wrong with you?" He said, half accusing.

" What's wrong with a red Ferrari? It's cool," I said defensively.

" Oh, please. Why does anyone have too look cool? We live in Washington, Forks for crying out loud! Look at the cars around you! These people don't drive res Ferrari's around, do they?" Kevin said, glowering at me.

" Fine. I'm sorry, okay Kev. S'not my fault I'm reckless and careless. I'm just a kid." I pushed my lower lip out and pouted for awhile.

Kevin looked at me for a moment and took in my expression, and he laughed. " Yea. You're right. You are just a kid. Ha, ha!"

It was hard not to smile at that. In a way, Kevin was my big brother. So I threw a smile at him, flashing my teeth. " Yea. I am. Brother." I sneered.

He rolled his eyes. " C'mon, or we're going to be late for class."

" Sure, sure." I muttered, and we took off to class. English period with Mr. Maccoy. Class was pretty dull. I've learnt all of this. Mr. Maccoy was explaining Romeo and Juliet, making it a one hour long lecture.

After that, we had calculus with Mr. Varner. This was my favourite class of all. Kevin's too. Though, I always thought of Mr. Varner as a prat. As usual, I'd dash out of the class to the cafeteria, get a tray and sit on the table near the window and sat there with a tray of food in front of me. I always waited for Kevin.

After a few seconds, Kevin came to the table with a tray of food. Honestly, I really hated human food. It tastes like... Yuck, and smells like dirt. Blek. I wonder---

" Hey, you okay? You look like you're going to throw up... If you could." Kevin said, interrupting my thoughts.

" Hmm..." I said thoughtfully. " what does human food taste like?" I asked.

" I don't know. I never tried."

From the corner of my eye, I saw a girl. Something she thought about caught my attention. I turned around to face her. She was... She smelled sweet. Not like food, like... Beautiful!

No comments: